Rachel Lipner, DO
Assistant Director of Inpatient Medicine
Hospice and Palliative Medicine Physician
Dr. Lipner joined Transitions LifeCare in July 2017. She has a background in Internal Medicine, and completed a fellowship in Hospice and Palliative Medicine at UNC. She provides care on the hospital-based palliative medicine consult services, and also serves as a hospice team physician.
Current Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Geriatric Medicine, UNC School of Medicine
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Campbell University School of Medicine
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine / D.O.
- Lehigh Valley Health Network / Internal Medicine
- UNC School of Medicine / Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Board certified in Internal Medicine
- Board certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Association
Areas of Interest
- Educating and empowering colleagues in primary palliative medicine
- Collaborative involvement with ICU patients and families
Invited Oral Presentation
- Lipner, R., UNC Palliative Medicine Grand Rounds, “Nutrition and Hydration at End of Life,” April 18, 2018.
- Lipner, R. WakeMed Health & Hospitals Hospitalist Morbidity and Mortality Series, “Palliative Medicine and Hospice Refresher,” March 22, 2018.
- Lipner, R., Curlin, F., Transitions LifeCare Nurses’ Roundtable, “Physician Aid in Dying: A Conversation,” September 20, 2017.
- Benner, A., Lipner, R., Holmes, E., Poliquin, R., Tatreau, J., Lavin, K. Neuropsychiatric symptoms in serious medical illness: differing perspectives from palliative care and psychiatry. Poster presented at: Annual Assembly. American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM); 2017 Feb; Phoenix, AZ.
- Lipner, R., Mastoris, K., Miles, M., Park, S., Rogers, R., Smith, S., Haslam, M. Retained medical knowledge in cardiopulmonary resuscitation affected by simulated mock code blue session. Poster presented at: Eastern Pennsylvania Region Abstract and Poster Competition. American College of Physicians (ACP); 2015 Oct; Hershey, PA.
- Meyers, A., Lipner, R., Borgia, V. Through their eyes: a photovoice exploring immigrant health. Poster presented at: Scientific Assembly. American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP); 2012 Oct; Philadelphia, PA.
Research and Quality Improvement Experience
- Lipner, R., Benner, A. “Preventing silent suffering – fundamental questions in palliative care: improving screening for physical symptoms and pain assessment using AAHPM measures that matter; Quality improvement project, UNC, September 2016 – May 2017