Joshua Dowd, MD
Hospice and Palliative Medicine Physician
Dr. Dowd joined Transitions LifeCare in July 2018. He is one of the physicians on the inpatient palliative care consult teams at WakeMed Raleigh Campus and WakeMed Cary Hospital. His interests include providing the best possible evidence-based and goal-oriented care to all patients and their families as well as educating other clinicians about primary palliative care skills and the benefits of specialty palliative care.
Current Appointments and Affiliations
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine Physician at Transitions LifeCare
- Admitting privileges at WakeMed Raleigh Campus and WakeMed Cary Hospital
- Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine / MD
- University of Michigan, Michigan Medicine Hospitals and Health Centers / Internal Medicine
- University of North Carolina Hospitals / Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Board certified in Internal Medicine
- Board eligible in Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM)
- Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC)
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- “Compassionate Truth Telling: Discussing Serious News with Patients and Families.” WakeMed Health and Hospitals’ Grand Rounds, WakeMed Raleigh Campus Andrews Center, Raleigh, NC, 2018.
- “You Want to Do What?! – Creative Management Strategies for Difficult Symptoms.” Comprehensive Cancer Support Program and Palliative Care Grand Rounds, University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, NC,
- “What Do We Do Now? – Opioid Prescribing Practice following Inappropriate Results on Urine Drug Screens for Palliative Care Patients.” American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine 2018 Annual Assembly Poster Session, Boston, MA,
- “Compassionate Truth Telling: ‘Breaking Bad News’ to Patients and Families.” Transitions LifeCare Talks at WakeMed Health and Hospitals, WakeMed Raleigh Campus Andrews Center, Raleigh, NC,
- “Does This Stuff Really Work? – Complementary Therapies and Their Evidence in Cancer Patients.” Comprehensive Cancer Support Program and Palliative Care Grand Rounds, University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, NC,
- “Neuropathic Pain.” Palliative Care Program Meeting, University of North Carolina Hospitals,Chapel Hill, NC, 2017.
- “The Effect of MP3 Player-Delivered Guided Imagery on Symptoms in Hospitalized ” Plenary Oral Session, Department of Internal Medicine Research Symposium, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2017.
Contributions to Text/Reference Books
- Dowd JE, Trainor ME. Code Status Discussions. In Schram D, Just the Facts Manual (21st edition). Ann Arbor, MI,
- Dowd JE, Trainor ME. Family Meetings. In Schram D, Just the Facts Manual (21st edition). Ann Arbor, MI,