Laura Patel, MD
Chief Medical Officer
Dr. Patel joined Transitions LifeCare in 2013 as medical director and now serves as Chief Medical Officer. She oversees the medical staff, the community-based and hospital-based palliative care programs, and the Transitions Kids program. She also provides the medical oversight for Transitions HospiceCare.
Dr. Patel is board certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, and Hospice and Palliative Medicine. In 2017, Dr. Patel was named AHHC’s “Physician of the Year” and one of TBJ’s “40 Under 40” and in 2020 was named an AAHPM “Emerging Leader.” Her interests include finding innovative care models to provide palliative care for people with advanced illness in collaboration with community partners, as well as ongoing efforts to reduce barriers to hospice care.
Dr. Laura Neumann Patel graduated cum laude with a B.A. degree in biology from Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. After completing medical school at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, she moved to Chapel Hill for residency in internal medicine at University of North Carolina Hospitals. During her residency she was awarded the Dr. David A. Ontjes Award for Excellence in Inpatient Clinical Care as well as the “Golden Boots” Award for clinical leadership. She then went on to complete a fellowship in geriatrics at UNC.
After working as a geriatrician in New Zealand, she moved to Baltimore where she joined Gilchrist Hospice and Gilchrist Greater Living. During her three years at Gilchrist, she gained experience in a variety of care settings including long term care, palliative care, and inpatient hospice. She also served as a medical director of both facility and home based hospice teams. Dr. Patel returned to the Triangle to become the Medical Director for Hospice of Wake County (now Transitions LifeCare) in 2013.
Current Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, UNC School of Medicine
- Admitting privileges at WakeMed Raleigh and WakeMed Cary
- University of Minnesota / MD
- UNC School of Medicine / Internal Medicine
- UNC School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine
- Board certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM)
- Center To Advance Palliative Care (CAPC)
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (FAAHPM)