Steve Young, MD
Associate Medical Director
Dr. Young practiced intensive care unit (ICU) medicine before shifting into geriatrics and palliative care. Prior to joining Transitions LifeCare he was the Director of Palliative Medicine at New Hanover Regional Medical Center. He later served as medical director of the UNC Geriatrics Specialty Clinic. Dr. Young was the lead author of a study which examined the effect of early palliative care consultation in the ICU and these findings were presented at an annual Society of Critical Care Medicine symposium. Dr. Young serves as a hospice team physician and also provides community-based palliative care consultations.
Current Appointments and Affiliations
- Clinical Professor of Medicine, UNC School of Medicine’s Geriatric Specialty Clinic
- Admitting privileges at WakeMed Raleigh and WakeMed Cary
- Bowman Gray School of Medicine / MD
- UNC School of Medicine / Internal Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine / Critical Care
- Board certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- S. Young, et al., “Impact of early palliative care consultation upon intensive care unit and hospital length of stay in patients with respiratory failure,” Critical Care Medicine, 2006, 34(12) Abstract supplement A146.