Laura Patel, MD
Chief Medical Officer
Dr. Patel serves as the Chief Medical Officer for Transitions LifeCare where she oversees the medical staff of physicians, nurse practitioners, social workers and palliative care nurse navigator for the community-based palliative care program, inpatient palliative care program, and hospice services. Prior to joining Transitions LifeCare in 2013, Dr. Patel worked for Gilchrist Hospice, an organization which won the Circle of Life award in 2010. Dr. Patel’s interests include finding innovative care models to provide palliative care and management of advanced illness in collaboration with community partners.
Current Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, UNC School of Medicine
- Admitting privileges at WakeMed Raleigh and WakeMed Cary
- University of Minnesota / MD
- UNC School of Medicine / Internal Medicine
- UNC School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine
- Board certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- WakeMed Health & Hospital’s High Utilization Committee
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM)
- Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC)
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO)
Invited Oral Presentations
- L. Patel, C. M. Khandelwal, J. Owen, WakeMed Health & Hospitals Grand Rounds, “The Role of Palliative Care & Hospice in Reducing Hospital Re-Admissions,” March 2014.
- T. F. Platts-Mills, K. Biese, M. LaMantia, Z. Zamora, L. N. Patel, B. McCall, F. Egbulefu, J. Busby-Whitehead, C. B. Cairns, J. S. Kizer, “Nursing home revenue source and information availability during the emergency department evaluation of nursing home residents,” J Am Med Dir Assoc., May 2012, 13(4):332-6.
- Z. Zamora, B. McCall, L. N. Patel, K. Biese, M. LaMantia, T. Platts-Mills, N. Naus, H. P. Jerkewitz, C. B. Cairns, J. Busby-Whitehead, J. S. Kizer, “Implementation of a Web-Based System to Improve the Transitional Care of Older Adults,” Journal of Nursing Care Quality, April/June 2012, 27(2):182-189.