Laura Patel, MD
Chief Medical Officer
Dr. Patel joined Transitions LifeCare in 2013 as medical director and now serves as Chief Medical Officer. She oversees the medical staff, the community-based and hospital-based palliative care programs, and Transitions Kids program. She also provides the medical oversight for Transitions HospiceCare. She is board certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine. In 2017, Dr. Patel was named AHHC’s “Physician of the Year” and one of TBJ’s “40 Under 40.” Her interests include finding innovative care models to provide palliative care for people with advanced illness in collaboration with community partners, as well as ongoing efforts to reduce barriers to hospice care.
Current Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, UNC School of Medicine
- Admitting privileges at WakeMed Raleigh and WakeMed Cary
- University of Minnesota / MD
- UNC School of Medicine / Internal Medicine
- UNC School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine
- Board certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- WakeMed Health & Hospital’s High Utilization Committee
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM)
- Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC)
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO)
- C. Thompson, L. Patel, A. Gray, L. Gillmor, K. Adelman, L. McLaughlin: AAHPM “There’s No Place Like Home: Creating a Successful Model for Community Based Pediatric Palliative and Hospice Care,” accepted for February 2017.
- L. Gillmor, L. Patel: poster presentation “Rounding Third: Bringing Pediatric Palliative Care Home,” poster presentation, October 2016.
- L. Patel, WakeMed Health and Hospitals Grand Rounds, “Beginning the Conversation: Advance care planning, helping patients and families plan for the future,” September 2016.
- L. Patel, B. Musick, P. Kunze, R. Placide: National Association of Home Care “The Ongoing Evolution of Palliative Care Models,” July 2016.
- L. Patel: Triangle Caregivers Conference “Supportive Palliative Care: Comfort for patients with advanced illness,” June 2016.
- L. Patel, C. M. Khandelwal, J. Owen, WakeMed Health & Hospitals Grand Rounds, “The Role of Palliative Care & Hospice in Reducing Hospital Re-Admissions,” March 2014.
- T. F. Platts-Mills, K. Biese, M. LaMantia, Z. Zamora, L. N. Patel, B. McCall, F. Egbulefu, J. Busby-Whitehead, C. B. Cairns, J. S. Kizer, “Nursing home revenue source and information availability during the emergency department evaluation of nursing home residents,” J Am Med Dir Assoc., May 2012, 13(4):332-6.
- Z. Zamora, B. McCall, L. N. Patel, K. Biese, M. LaMantia, T. Platts-Mills, N. Naus, H. P. Jerkewitz, C. B. Cairns, J. Busby-Whitehead, J. S. Kizer, “Implementation of a Web-Based System to Improve the Transitional Care of Older Adults,” Journal of Nursing Care Quality, April/June 2012, 27(2):182-189.
Non-peer Reviewed Publications
- Patel, L: The imaginary line between doctor and patient is truly precarious http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2016/01/imaginary-line-doctor-patient-truly-precarious.html
- Patel, L: This is why hospice work is so fulfilling http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2016/07/hospice-work-fulfilling.html